As a born and bred Texan, I like to think that every day is the perfect day to celebrate The Lone Star State (and I think most Texans would agree), but one day stands clearly above the rest – March 2nd. Texas Independence Day, a day filled with food, fun, and a whole lotta’ Texas pride.
So in honor of this glorious day, I thought I would share the top 10 reasons why I love the great state of Texas:
10. No other state can fly their state flag at the same height as the American flag, which should be all the reason you need to love Texas.
9. What other state has multiple types of food named after you (ie. Tex-Mex, Texas-style chili and Texas BBQ)?
8. Walker Texas Ranger…aka Chuck Norris (no other explanation needed)
7. Texas is home to the GREATEST university that was every created – THE University of Texas (and this guy agrees).
6. Remember the Alamo…
5. The ability to fry anything and the genius brains to come up with unusual foods to fry (Fried “Picnic-on-a-Stick” anyone?)
4. Our own religion – football (which reminds me, only 181 days until the start of Longhorn Football Season!)
3. Mexican martinis – despite the name, they were invented in the state capital.
2. Texas Country – Willie Nelson. Pat Green. Eli Young Band. Roger Creager. Whiskey Myers. The list goes on but I’ll stop here.
1. Everything is bigger, and better, in Texas (and if you don’t believe me, maybe you’ll believe Buzzfeed).
With that, I hope everyone cracks open a Texas brew, enjoys the beautiful Texas sky, and have a Texas-sized celebration. Happy Texas Independence Day, y’all!