We Texans are a proud people. So, it’s no wonder that we take Texas Independence Day very seriously. Yes, it was this day in 1836 that Texas declared its independence from Mexico and formally became the Republic of Texas. Even if only for a short time, we like to celebrate the fact that we were once an independent nation (only one of the many reasons that we Texans are so awesome).
In honor of this special day, I thought I’d share some interesting facts about The Lone Star State:
- Because we were a Republic before joining the Union, Texas is the only state that can fly its flag at the same height as the American flag.
- The first word spoken from the moon was “Houston”.
- The King Ranch of Texas is bigger than the entire state of Rhode Island.
- Austin is considered the Live Music Capital of the World.
- The hamburger was created in Athens, Texas.
- And just for a little legal entertainment: In Texas, it’s illegal to put graffiti on someone else’s cow.
Texas is just a great place to be, and so, I will celebrate my state’s Independence Day with the rest of them. In the words of Davy Crockett, “You all can go to hell. I am going to Texas.”
Happy Texas Independence Day, Y’all!