I’m not a huge coffee drinker, so when I’m in dire need of a drink to keep me warm, I turn to hot chocolate. While I’m a believer in the delicious chocolately treat all year round, it takes the holiday season to bring most people onto the hot chocolate side of things.
With the holiday season in full swing, I needed a thoughtful, yet inexpensive (I’m on a budget, people) gift to give to my co-workers and friends. So once again, I turned to my trusty hot chocolate. I found a great recipe on the Disney Family Fun website and thought it was the perfect gift idea.
To make this adorable hot chocolate gift, you will need the following ingredients:
- 3/4 cup of cocoa mix (it can be unsweetened…that’s what the chocolate chips are for)
- 2 (6- by 12-inch) cone-shaped cellophane bags (can be found at party stores)
- 2 clear rubber bands (I used pony tail holders)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 3/4 cups mini marshmallows
The Instructions are easy. To make one Hot Chocolate Cone, you:
- Pour the cocoa mix into one of the bags. Close the bag with one of the clear rubber bands, then trim the end of the bag to get rid of excess material. NOTE: The recipe I used did not warn readers how messy this step would be. Make sure you have laid down a bowl or some newspaper to catch any spilled cocoa.
- Place the cocoa filled bag into another bag and flatten the top so that it doesn’t stick out.
- Pour the chocolates chips on top, then the marshmallows.
- Tie off with a rubber band. I added some ribbon and a bow to dress the package up, but this in option.
You will end up with a delicious bag of hot chocolate mix. Be sure to tell your gift recipients that the bag holds enough for four servings of cocoa.
Handing these little hot chocolate cones out got great responses from all my recipients. They loved the thoughtful, homemade feel behind it…and who doesn’t love hot chocolate? It gives me confidence to make more of these homemade gifts in the future.
There are tons of unique recipes for homemade hot chocolate recipes on the web. If you want something a little more spicy, check out this recipe I found for Mexican Hot Chocolate. I’ve yet to try this one specifically, but I am quite a fan of Mexican Hot Chocolate, so I’m sure it’s great!
Happy Holidays and enjoy!